Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pineapple Pie


When I found this recipe, I thought it sounded delicious. You don't see recipes for pineapple pie like you do, say apple pie. This also reminds me of those little hand pies you can buy. I baked this up one morning to take to dinner at my Brother's to have with vanilla bean ice cream of course too. I was surprised how wonderful it was! It wasn't as sweet as I feared it would be, it was perfect. It even sliced beautifully. I will be making this again.

Please note there isn't a whole lot of filling, so your pie dish won't be full, I will use my shallow pie dish next time so I don't have so much empty crust, or maybe just use a regular pie dish and fold your crust down more (see pics). I wonder if you could double the filling to make a taller pie??


Pineapple Pie
from Fork vs Spoon

One prepared double pie crust, I used my gluten free recipe
1 – 20 ounce can Crushed Pineapple with juice (do not drain)
1/2 Cup White Granulated Sugar
3 Tablespoons Corn Starch
Pinch of salt
Milk
Sugar

In a medium saucepan, combine the crushed pineapple, sugar, corn starch, and salt. Place over medium heat. Bring mixture to a slow boil and cook, stirring often, until mixture has thickened and is no longer cloudy, but clear (about 3 to 5 minutes). Remember to keep stirring so the mixture doesn’t scorch. Once thickened, remove from heat and let cool.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Prepare your pie crusts, roll out. Lay your bottom crust into a *shallow pie dish, add cooled pie filling, either lay your top crust on top or do a lattice pattern (gluten free crust will not lattice). Trim off extra dough and crimp edges. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar, cut vent holes.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 – 45 minutes until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool (I baked mine in the morning, let it sit out and cool, then refrigerated for 1-2 hours, then took it over and it sat out for another 1-2 hours until after dinner and it set up nicely). Serve with vanilla ice cream!

(Remember gluten free pie crusts tend to take longer to brown, so I cover the top and let it bake maybe up to 20 minutes more so the bottom gets done)

not a lot of filling

my regular pie dish in front, my shallower one in back, note how low the pie sits in the dish.

see all that extra crust on the edges

I baked this 20+ minutes longer and see how the GF crust still isn't real dark on the bottom? 

Just like those little hand pies, but better!!


Please share this post if you liked it. =)

enjoy,
Pin It!

1 Comments:

nkiar said...

This looks amazing!!! Might need to give this a try tomorrow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...