Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Layered Jello Knox Blocks


For the 3rd grade St. Patrick's Day class party I offered to bring in green jello. But not just jello. Knox Blocks. Who remembers them as a kid? I do, and loved them. They are sturdier than the jello jigglers you may know of these days. This time I thought I'd try them with a cream layer in them. I call them Magical Shamrocks. They are the easiest thing to make, and they set up pretty quickly, but I kept mine overnight. Just think of the different flavors and shapes you could make these into. Raspberry, strawberry or cherry hearts for Valentines, grape, lime or strawberry for Easter eggs, cherry or lime for Christmas time...

As I was cutting these out the next morning, I kept catching myself nibbling on the scraps, oooh they were good. I am not crazy about that  gelatin stuff, but these were good. My kids loved them. I don't know how they went over at school, since my little girl was sick the day of her party, but most of what I sent was gone when I got the dish back.
You  may want to double this for a class of 24+ if you use 2-3" cutters.

Layered Jello Knox Blocks
from Group Recipes

4 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
3 pkgs (3oz) Lime Jello
3 Cups boiling water
1/2 pt whipping cream

In large heatproof bowl mix unflavored gelatin with Jello.
Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved -- about a minute or so.
Stir in whipping cream.
Pour into a 13x9 inch pan, cover and chill until firm, about four hours or overnight.
The cream will rise during chilling to form a top layer.
To serve, cut into squares or rectangles of desired cookie cutter shapes and size for finger food treats. Place each piece between cut wax paper, and keep chilled until serving.





enjoy,

Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...