Friday, December 30, 2011

Light and Fluffy Biscuits {Gluten Free}


I had originally planned to use this biscuit dough for chicken and dumplings, but when I saw that recipe was not working out, I didn't chance wasting the dough. I made regular biscuits instead and froze them to use as I'd need them. They turned out pretty good, great with butter and jam and even breakfast sandwiches. I've even had them dipped in my hot beef stew as the rest of the family had dinner rolls.


Light and Fluffy Biscuits {Gluten Free}
(Yield: 16 large biscuits)

1 1/2 c. brown rice flour
2 c. corn starch
1/2 c. soy flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 stick of cold butter
1 1/4 c. milk
1 1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, corn starch, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.

3. Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.

4. Add the milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.

Using a large spoon (I used my large scooper), drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 16 biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
-Can be frozen, thaw before use.



enjoy,
Pin It!

3 Comments:

Leslie said...

I have never baked anything gluten free...it scares me. But these look delicious!

Unknown said...

The recipe calls for 2 cups of cornstarch (which seems a lot to me but im new to this) but then no where in the instructions does it tell you when to add it. Confused! Help!

Rachelle S said...

Hi Jesse, you'll add it in with the other dry ingredients and yes it is 2 cups. Thanks for letting me know, I'll add it in now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...